Re: Dead code in _bt_split? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Dead code in _bt_split?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> OK, would you please send a patch to remove the unused code.  Thanks.

> Ok, here you are.

Applied with an added comment and Assert.

While testing it I realized that there seems to be a nearby bug in
_bt_findsplitloc: it fails to consider the possibility of moving all the
extant items to the left side.  It will always return a firstright <=
maxoff.  ISTM this would mean that it could choose a bad split if the
incoming item goes at the end and both it and the last extant item are
large: in this case they should be split apart, but they won't be.

Heikki, do you feel like looking at that, or shall I?