Re: SMP scaling - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SMP scaling
Date
List pgsql-general
> So it seems our entire SMP problem was that global lock.  Nice.

Yeah, I was kind of expecting to see the LockMgrLock up next, but
it seems we're still a ways away from having a problem there.  I guess
that's because we only tend to touch locks once per query, whereas
we're grabbing and releasing buffers much more.

From the relatively small absolute value of Mark's queries/sec numbers,
I suppose he is testing some fairly heavyweight queries (big enough
to not emphasize per-query overhead).  I wonder what the numbers would
look like with very small, simple queries.  It'd move the stress around
for sure ...

            regards, tom lane