I'm in need of something that should be there - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ralph Smith
Subject I'm in need of something that should be there
Date
List pgsql-general
And should be easier to find in the manual!

I've looked in many related chapters of the 8.2 manual for a way to find out
WHY a specific user has access to a database.

Chapter 5    Data Definition
Chapter 18  Database Roles & Privileges
Chapter 20  Client Authorization

postgres=# select * from pg_roles;
 rolname  | rolsuper | rolinherit | rolcreaterole | rolcreatedb | rolcatupdate | rolcanlogin | rolconnlimit | rolpassword | rolvaliduntil | rolconfig |  oid
----------+----------+------------+---------------+-------------+--------------+-------------+--------------+-------------+---------------+-----------+-------
lines removed
 smithrn  | f        | f          | t             | t           | f            | t           |           -1 | ********    | infinity      |           | 16393

This user can connect via his .pgpass or manually since he's in a netID range that requires a password.
But he can create and drop tables in any database!!!

Why is that?
How can I find out what he can do?
The GRANT and REVOKE sections say nothing about which pg_xxxx tables to query, and I've been lookin'!

Thank you!

Ralph Smith