Re: Migration/Upgrade Problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Migration/Upgrade Problems
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:19:31 -0700 (PDT), stevefoss
<sfossum@autotraninc.com> wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade my postgresql data from 7.0.3 to 8.3.7 with
marginal
> success.  I tried pg_dumpall and got the tables but lost most of the
data.
> I also tried pg_dump but keep getting "FATAL 1: Database "whatever" does
> not
> exist in the system catalog" errors.  I also tried using the latest
> versions
> of pg_dump and pg_dumpall but they just will not work.  They are looking
> for
> some shared library file that does not exist.  Any suggestions?  Do I
need
> to upgrade to an intermediate version before jumping to the latest
version?

I would first make sure that you have run a database wide vacuum on each
database.

Your library problems are likely because you just copied the binary? I
assume you didn't actually install postgresql. As far as running older
versions of pg_dumpall, I am not even sure 8.3 will work on 7.0.
I think you might have to double or triple upgrade. I would try using 7.4
pg_dumpall to get a clean dump. Restore that dump into a 7.4 cluster. Then
use 8.3 to pull from the 7.4.

Note that your application is pretty much guaranteed not to work. You will
have to rewrite a bunch of queries.

Joshua D. Drake