Re: [HACKERS] logical replication syntax (was DROP SUBSCRIPTION,query cancellations and slot handling) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: [HACKERS] logical replication syntax (was DROP SUBSCRIPTION,query cancellations and slot handling)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/05/17 15:14, Petr Jelinek wrote:

>> Actually, this command has got much worse problems than whether you like
>> the spelling of its option: it shouldn't have an option in the first
>> place.  I put it to you as an inviolable rule that no object DROP command
>> should ever have any options other than RESTRICT/CASCADE and IF EXISTS.
>> If it does, then you don't know what to do when the object is recursed
>> to by a cascaded drop.
>>
>> It's possible that we could allow exceptions to this rule for object types
>> that can never have any dependencies.  But a subscription doesn't qualify
>> --- it's got an owner, so DROP OWNED BY already poses this problem.  Looks
>> to me like it's got a dependency on a database, too.  (BTW, if
>> subscriptions are per-database, why is pg_subscription a shared catalog?
>> There were some pretty schizophrenic decisions here.)
>
> Because otherwise we would need launcher process per database, not pretty.
>

>> So ISTM we need to get rid of the above-depicted syntax.  We could instead
>> have what-to-do-with-the-slot as a property of the subscription,
>> established at CREATE SUBSCRIPTION and possibly changed later by ALTER
>> SUBSCRIPTION.  Not quite sure what to call the option, maybe something
>> based on the concept of the subscription "owning" the slot.
>>

> So what do you do if the upstream does not exist anymore when you are
> dropping subscription?

Let me expand, if we don't drop the slot by default when dropping
subscription, we'll have a lot of users with dead slots laying around
holding back WAL/catalog_xmin, that's really bad. If we do drop by
default like now, we need option to not do that, neither RESTRICT, nor
CASCADE fit that.

Services