Basic SQL question and kudos - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dennis Gearon
Subject Basic SQL question and kudos
Date
List pgsql-general
I need to get a join across about 8 tables to only return rows for the MAX date in one of the tables for all otherwise
identicalreturn results. I am trying to get the most recent edit of normalized records that are composed of elements
fromall the tables. There could be 1 to 100+ successive edits to the normalized/multi table record. The will be
approximately65,000 total records for now, 100,000,000s later.

If I make one of the values in the select statement be MAX(the date), does that automatically do grouping on 'the date'
orwill I only get ONE row total returned?

KUDOS, I almost never need to write the postgres group . . . because it just works. It's only using postgres that I
evereven read the digest that I receive.

Soon I will have to write more to get performance tips. You guys are great on this list and seem to always have
answers,Thx.
Dennis Gearon

Signature Warning
EARTH has a Right To Life,