Re: BUG #16772: Options --disable-triggers in combination with --superuser does not have the expected result - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #16772: Options --disable-triggers in combination with --superuser does not have the expected result
Date
In response to BUG #16772: Options --disable-triggers in combination with --superuser does not have the expected result  (PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-bugs
> Trying to create a dump with following command line:

>    pg_dumpall -h <database host> -p 5432 -U user1 -f /tmp/dump.out
> --disable-triggers -S user2 -v

> User1 is a regular user and user2 is a superuser like the documentation
> states: "Specify the superuser user name to use when disabling triggers"

I think you misunderstood the docs; perhaps there's an opportunity to
clarify them.  The pg_dumpall run itself has to run as superuser
so that it can extract role passwords, therefore user1 has to be
superuser.  What "-S" is for is to specify a superuser role name that
the dump's output script can use *at restore time* to monkey with
trigger settings.  That switch exists mainly because you might be planning
to restore into a different installation with different superusers.
Therefore, that name is *not* used during the dump.

            regards, tom lane