Re: [HACKERS] TAP tests take a long time - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] TAP tests take a long time
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Craig Ringer <craig.ringer@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> With
> make PROVE_FLAGS="--timer -j 9" check
> I don't see much difference with/without caching initdb results -
> saves about 4 seconds, from 74 to 70 seconds, but hard to tell with
> the error margins.

> So if we're going to do anything, defaulting to parallel prove seems a
> good start, and I'm not sure caching initdb results is worth it.

Yeah, the results shown in this thread are not very good :-(.  I'm
suspicious that the results are basically I/O-bound in your environment.
There might be some value in the cached-initdb-tree solution for slower,
more CPU-bound machines, but cutting out the regprocin overhead would
probably do just as much good there.