Re: Problem with ControlFileData structure being ABI dependent - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Trevor Talbot
Subject Re: Problem with ControlFileData structure being ABI dependent
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/7/07, Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:

> > AFAIK, time_t is a Unix-ism, so it's pretty unlikely to be used in the
> > APIs of anything on Windows.

> Oh, it is.

It's confined to the C Runtime libraries, not part of the Windows API
proper. (Three exceptions: IP Helper uses the type, but the docs
contain a warning; a DHCP API that came along after the change to
64bit; an obsoleted Wbem class library for C++.)

The CRT has been causing compatibility problems in mixed-tools
projects for years. I find Microsoft's incessant changes so irritating
that I go out of my way to avoid using it in any project I intend to
deploy. It's just one of those things you end up having to deal with
somehow :(