Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Trevor Talbot
Subject Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/12/07, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 03:17:13PM -0800, Trevor Talbot wrote:

> > As for desktop heap, only 65KB of the service heap was allocated, or
> > about 80 bytes per connection.  No danger of hitting limits in the
> > kernel memory pools either.
>
> As Dave said, it could be that the server version uses a lot less heap per
> process, which would be another good reason to use server rather than XP to
> run postgresql. But might there also be other differences, such as some
> third party (or non-core microsoft) product installed?

The XP SP2 machine I tried 8.2.5 on was chewing up about 3.1KB per
process, and it's not running anything invasive (AV or otherwise).

I've been trying to find out exactly what's in the desktop heap, but I
haven't had much luck so far.  Apparently Microsoft changed the
implementation after Win2000, and didn't bother teaching the public
debugging tools about it.  The details just don't seem to exist
anymore :(