How to call SETOF function? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Iain Barnett
Subject How to call SETOF function?
Date
Re: How to call SETOF function?  (Adrian Klaver <aklaver@comcast.net>)
List pgsql-general
If I run the following (in either a terminal or the PgAdmin3 Query tool) I get the error:

ERROR: query has no destination for result data
SQL state: 42601
Hint: If you want to discard the results of a SELECT, use PERFORM instead.
Context: PL/pgSQL function "anything_all_udf" line 3 at SQL statement

How am I'm supposed to call the function so that I get the same result as the adhoc query it surrounds?

----

create table anything (
  first serial primary key not null
, second varchar not null
, third timestamp default now() not null
);

insert into anything ( second ) values ( 'row a' );
insert into anything ( second ) values ( 'row b' );
insert into anything ( second ) values ( 'row c' );

CREATE OR REPLACE  FUNCTION anything_all_udf(
) RETURNS setof anything
AS $$
BEGIN
select * from anything;