Re: BUG #1860: Insert failed due to unique index - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #1860: Insert failed due to unique index
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Viswanath Ramineni wrote:
>> I have a table with a primary key on id (integer) column and a unique
>> index on varchar(10) column. Insertion fails when the value of the
>> unique column is substring of an existing value. For example, if I
>> have a row with the unique column value 'TEST1', it will not allow me
>> insert another row with 'TEST' as the value for this column.

> Please show the exact sequence of commands that leads to this situation.

This is probably the bug that was introduced here:

    * src/backend/utils/adt/: oracle_compat.c, varlena.c: Add small
    hack to support use of Unicode-based locales on WIN32.    This is not
    adequately tested yet, but let's get it into beta1 so it can be
    tested.  Magnus Hagander and Tom Lane.

and fixed here:

    * src/backend/utils/adt/varlena.c: The idea of using _strncoll() on
    Windows doesn't work.  Revert to same code as we use on other
    platforms when encoding is not UTF8.

Non-unicode comparison on Windows was pretty thoroughly broken during
that interval :-(

            regards, tom lane