Re: length coerce for bpchar is broken since 7.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: length coerce for bpchar is broken since 7.0
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I'm going to fix the problem by changing bpcharin() rather than
> changing exprTypmod(). Surely we could fix the problem by changing
> exprTypmod() for INSERT, however, we could not fix the similar problem
> for COPY FROM in the same way.  Changing bpcharin() would solve
> problems of both INSERT and COPY FROM. So bpcharin() seems more
> appropreate place to fix both problems.

bpcharin() will most definitely NOT fix the problem, because it often
will not know the target column's typmod, if indeed there is an
identifiable target column at all.  I agree that it's a good solution
for COPY FROM, but you need to fix exprTypmod() too.