Re: New feature request: FlashBack Query - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From RPK
Subject Re: New feature request: FlashBack Query
Date
Re: New feature request: FlashBack Query  (August Zajonc <augustz@augustz.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew,

>> Demanding unlimited undo at some time that is arbitrarilly distant in the
>> future strikes me as wholly unreasonable.

I did not mean asking for undo from a life-time log. Since FlashBack
Technology is already there, I just mean that world's most advanced database
(PostgreSQL, as they say), must have an optimized way for undoing of at
least a week changes. A week log is enough and PostgreSQL can keep on
removing old logs automatically.

Secondly, it must be left to the user to decide for the number of days of
archive he want to store. Again upto a week max.

RPK wrote:

> I agree that TimeStamp creates an overhead, but I just want to know if an
> accidental update happened to a table and this incident got traced three
> days after, what facility PGSQL provide to bring the table to its original
> condition. You can't wait regretting on why you did not run ROLLBACK
> before
> COMMIT. (Correct me. I am only a user).

Why the heck can't you create a reversing transaction? That's what
ordinary mortals do. Demanding unlimited undo at some time that is
arbitrarilly distant in the future strikes me as wholly unreasonable.

What do you mean by "accidental update"? What you really appear to mean is
that a program or a human operator has made an error, and incorrectly told
the database to commit a transaction. The answer surely is to correct the
behaviour of the program or human, rather than wanting the database to
provide an undo facility. Alternatively, this should be handled at the
application layer, using something like table_log.

Some things just don't work well with this sort of facility. Just ask your
bookie if you can undo a bet that you "accidentally" placed with him and
which, three days later, you discover (after the race) was a mistake.

cheers

andrew

TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate      subscribe-nomail command to
majordomo@postgresql.orgso that your      message can get through to the mailing list cleanly