Re: Is data import from Oracle table to Postgres table in Ora2pg consecutive or random? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: Is data import from Oracle table to Postgres table in Ora2pg consecutive or random?
Date
List pgsql-general
> On 12 Sep 2023, at 14:26, Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:
>
> El día martes, septiembre 12, 2023 a las 02:19:19 +0200, Peter J. Holzer escribió:
>
>>> - Or can we add additional parameters to the ora2pg.conf file to control this
>>> process and ensure that the data is imported sequentially, following the
>>> primary key from smallest to largest?
>
> AFAIK, a simple SELECT in PostgreSQL without an ORDER BY will return the rows
> in random order.

It will return the rows in some order, without guarantees about randomness or
asc/desc ordering.  Any query which relies on ordering, whichever is wanted,
should include an ORDER BY clause.

--
Daniel Gustafsson