Re: PoC/WIP: Extended statistics on expressions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: PoC/WIP: Extended statistics on expressions
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 1/22/21 10:00 AM, Dean Rasheed wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 at 04:46, Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think you'll maybe have to do something better - this seems a bit too weird:
>>
>> | postgres=# CREATE STATISTICS s2 ON (i+1) ,i FROM t;
>> | postgres=# \d t
>> |     "public"."s2" (ndistinct, dependencies, mcv) ON i FROM t
>>

> I guess that's not surprising, given that old psql knows nothing about
> expressions in stats.
>
> In general, I think connecting old versions of psql to newer servers
> is not supported. You're lucky if \d works at all. So it shouldn't be
> this patch's responsibility to make that output nicer.

Yeah. It's not clear to me what exactly could we do with this, without
"backpatching" the old psql or making the ruleutils.c consider version
of the psql. Neither of these seems possible/acceptable.

I'm sure this is not the only place showing "incomplete" information in
old psql on new server.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra