Re: small psql patch - show Schema name for \dt \dv \dS - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: small psql patch - show Schema name for \dt \dv \dS
Date
List pgsql-patches
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> It sorts on "Schema" first, and "Name" second.

> Sample output:
>                   List of relations
>          Name        |   Schema   | Type |  Owner
> --------------------+------------+------+----------
>   __testpassbyval    | public     | view | postgres
>   fooview            | public     | view | postgres
>   master_pg_proc     | public     | view | postgres
>   rmt_pg_proc        | public     | view | postgres
>   vw_dblink_get_pkey | public     | view | postgres
>   vw_dblink_replace  | public     | view | postgres
>   ts_view            | testschema | view | postgres

It seems rather odd and confusing that the sort order takes the second
column as the major key.  I think that the sort ordering should be
column 1 then 2.  That means either putting the schema column first,
or keeping this column ordering and sorting on relname before schema.
I lean towards the first choice but can see a case for the second.

            regards, tom lane