Re: Common Table Expressions (WITH RECURSIVE) patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Common Table Expressions (WITH RECURSIVE) patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Robert Haas" <robertmhaas@gmail.com> writes:
>> I am not sure, if these rule is good. Somebody who develop on
>> postgresql should have a problems when they will be port to other
>> databases in future. Reserved words in standards should be respected.

> I disagree.  I have never ported an app written for PostgreSQL to
> another database system, and have no plans to start.  The fact that
> some other database system might barf on a particular bit of SQL is
> insufficient reason for PostgreSQL to do the same thing.

> If people want to write code that will work on multiple databases,
> they should of course avoid using any SQL reserved words for anything
> other than their reserved purposes.

More than that, they have to actually test their SQL on each target DB.
Every DB (including us) is going to have some reserved words that are
not in the standard; so imagining that Postgres can all by itself
protect you from this type of problem is doomed to failure anyway.