Re: psql: FATAL: role "xyz" is not permitted to log in - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql: FATAL: role "xyz" is not permitted to log in
Date
List pgsql-general
Ralph Smith <smithrn@washington.edu> writes:
> However I'm now trying to access it using all lower case.
> Are you saying that IT'S confused and I should go all lower or use
> quotes (") not (')?

Well, you can do it either way.

If you want the database to be really truly named "LabNews_dev"
(mixed case) then you need to create it using the quotes, and then
you'll have to use quotes *every* time you name it in SQL commands,
and you'll have to be careful to use the mixed-case spelling in
other contexts such as pg_hba.conf and psql command arguments.

If you are okay with it really being named "labnews_dev" then you
won't need quotes in your SQL commands, but you'll have to spell
it in all lower case in pg_hba.conf and psql command arguments.

            regards, tom lane