RE: Application Dependency/Limitations of Postgres Version Upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Aguayo Garcia-Rada
Subject RE: Application Dependency/Limitations of Postgres Version Upgrade
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi.

Based on my experience, you will probably have no problem when migrating applications from PG 9.x to 9.6. Same for 8.x to 9.6.

I recently migrated an application installed on around 100 servers from 8.4 to 9.6, and the only problem I had was regarding database encoding, more specifically with spanish characters and the fact that the database had been previously been created, for historical reasons, with SQL_ASCII instead of UTF8 encoding. That was solved just by using the --encoding argument for pg_dump.

Older PG versions used to cause more problems when migrating from older to newer versions. 7.x to 8.x was a real pain. But more modern versions have almost no problems.

Of course, if you depend on some extension, you should make sure it is supported and/or you can compile it for PG 9.6.

Regards,

Alvaro Aguayo
Jefe de Operaciones
Open Comb Systems E.I.R.L.

Oficina: (+51-13377813 | RPM: #034252 / (+51) 995540103  | RPC: (+51) 954183248
Website: www.ocs.pe

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

---- amitabh kumar wrote ----

Hi,

I would like to know about application dependency of PostgreSQL version upgrade.

We have multiple servers with PG versions in 8.4, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4 and 9.5, that we want to upgrade to 9.6. We want to be sure that all applications will run smoothly after upgrade.

Is there any dependency or limitation of applications in 9.6 after upgrading from these versions ? OS platforms we are using are in Linux 5, 6.7. 6.8 and Windows 10, 12.

I am happy to provide more information if need.

Regards,

Amitabh
PostgreSQL DBA