Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 29.03.23 16:28, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> Perhaps it'd be reasonable to tie the "protocol version" to subscriber
> capabilities, so that a protocol version guarantees what message types
> the subscriber understands. So we could increment the protocol version,
> check it in pgoutput_startup and then error-out in the sequence callback
> if the subscriber version is too old.

That would make sense.

> That'd be nicer in the sense that we'd generate nicer error message on
> the publisher, not an "unknown message type" on the subscriber. That's
> doable, the main problem being it'd be inconsistent with the TRUNCATE
> behavior. OTOH that was introduced in PG11, which is the oldest version
> still under support ...

I think at the time TRUNCATE support was added, we didn't have a strong
sense of how the protocol versioning would work or whether it would work
at all, so doing nothing was the easiest way out.