how to cancel a query in progress - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Whit Armstrong
Subject how to cancel a query in progress
Date
List pgsql-general
I had a few queries that were fired from pgAdmin, but failed to stop
running after I killed the GUI.

I tried to stop the queries by killing the pid (of the process running
the query, not the pid of the server) from the linux command line, and
much to my surprise, the whole database went down and then recovered
(using the data in pg_xlog I assume).

So, now that I've learned this lesson, what is the proper way to kill
a query, and can it be done from psql or are there special postgres
tools to do this.

Thanks,
Whit