auto truncate/vacuum full - Mailing list pgsql-general

From JC Praud
Subject auto truncate/vacuum full
Date
Re: auto truncate/vacuum full
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I've got a weird thing on one of my databases this night:

- I've a monthly partition for storing activity logs defined as this:
  - mother log table
  - one child partition for each month

- Last friday I dumped the last month partition, and tried to truncate it, which locked lots of queries because the mother table was also locked. So I killed the TRUNCATE and performed a DELETE on my partition

- Last night the database locked. pg_log full of messages about insert into the mother table waiting for a lock.

- After about 40min, the waiting queries acquired their locks and ran.

- At the same time, my munin graphs show a decrease of my dbase size, of about the size of my partition, which pg_(total_)relation_size says has a zero size now.

- No slow query mentionning truncate nor vacuum full.

- According to pg_stat_user_tables an autovacuum was run on the table just after the unlock.

So my question are: can the autovacuum daemon perform vacuum full ? Or another internal postgres process ? Could it come from the TRUNCATE I run and canceled 4 days before ?

I'm running postgresql-8.3.7

Regards,

--
JC
Ph'nglui  mglw'nafh  Cthulhu  n'gah  Bill  R'lyeh  Wgah'nagl fhtagn!