Re: managing tablespaces like files? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sam Carleton
Subject Re: managing tablespaces like files?
Date
List pgsql-general
Justin,

It is an image viewing system for events.  Each event could have a few hundred images (each one will be between a 3 to 12 megs file) and as many as one hundred thousand images.  So these are the other files, the other folders is how all these images are stored and managed.  The database contains basic customer info and references to the images they picked (path and image name).  Each event is a unique entity, such that the customers and their selection of images are unique to the event in which the images where created.  Because of this, right now I am using SQLite which creates a new "event" database for each and every event.  Depending on my customer, some folks simply delete the whole event when it is over, while others back it up off their dedicated event server machine and load it up on their desktop at home to finish processing the images.

The images are served up via the Apache web server, so currently there is only one process access the SQLite process, well, possibly two or three, depending on how many instances Apache start, but it is limited and there are a ton more reads then there are writes.

Why I am looking for other options is it time to develop some new .Net client modules to access the data in new and different ways.  Initially I was going to have everything access the data through Apache, but now I am thinking that I can speed up the time to market if I where to move to a traditional database and let the new .Net clients connect directly to the database.

From the prospective of my end users, most who know NOTHING about databases, keeping a file based database makes a LOT of sense.  From the standpoint of eventually taking this to also be hosted online, it makes a LOT of sense to rework the current model to one central DB that can hold multiple events.  The only question is how do I keep the system user friendly for my customers that know nothing about computers.  That is the question.  In the end, my software is all about letting my customers have their cake and eat it too!

Sam