Re: managing tablespaces like files? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sam Carleton
Subject Re: managing tablespaces like files?
Date
Re: managing tablespaces like files?  (Scott Mead <scott.lists@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 4:07 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

and what happens if someone copies your directory without shutting down the instance?

Well, that is an issue right now, the current SQLite DB is locked by the app and cannot currently be copied while the app is running.  Or at least I don't think it can be copied safely, which is why there is a backup function that will simply create a copy of the DB file where it is told to go, something I have yet to implement as of now.

sounds like trouble in the making to me.  me thinks you're better off sticking with a file based database and not trying to use a server based one.

I hear you, but I am not willing to throw in the towel, just yet...  Generally speaking, is there a lot of metadata that would need to be exported?  As I think about this, I am thinking I would have to read in ALL the system tables and find all the different parts to make up all the different aspects of all the stuff in the tablespace, like the tables, columns, views, stored procs, etc.  It isn't a matter of just dumping one or two tables, but a matter of combing lots of tables and exporting lots of very specific pieces of those tables.  Correct?

Sam