Re: Avoid unecessary MemSet call (src/backend/utils/cache/relcache.c) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Zhang
Subject Re: Avoid unecessary MemSet call (src/backend/utils/cache/relcache.c)
Date
Re: Avoid unecessary MemSet call (src/backend/utils/cache/relcache.c)
List pgsql-hackers

Hi Ranier,

Following the comment in commit 9fd45870c1436b477264c0c82eb195df52bc0919,

    (The same could be done with appropriate memset() calls, but this
    patch is part of an effort to phase out MemSet(), so it doesn't touch
    memset() calls.)

Should these obviously possible replacement of the standard library function "memset" be considered as well? For example, something like the attached one which is focusing on the pageinspect extension only.

Best regards,

David

On 2022-08-01 10:08 a.m., Ranier Vilela wrote:
Em sáb., 16 de jul. de 2022 às 16:54, Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com> escreveu:

Em sáb, 16 de jul de 2022 2:58 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> escreveu:
On 11.07.22 21:06, Ranier Vilela wrote:
> Em qui., 7 de jul. de 2022 às 14:01, Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com
> <mailto:ranier.vf@gmail.com>> escreveu:
>
>     Attached the v1 of your patch.
>     I think that all is safe to switch MemSet by {0}.
>
> Here the rebased patch v2, against latest head.

I have committed my patch with Álvaro's comments addressed
I see.
It's annoing that old compiler (gcc 4.7.2) don't handle this style.

Your patch appears to add in changes that are either arguably out of
scope or would need further review (e.g., changing memset() calls,
changing the scope of some variables, changing places that need to worry
about padding bits).  Please submit separate patches for those, and we
can continue the analysis.
Sure.
Hi, sorry for the delay.
New attempt to remove more MemSet calls, that are safe.

Attached v3 patch.

regards,
Ranier Vilela
Attachment