Re: Making pg_hba.conf case-insensitive - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Making pg_hba.conf case-insensitive
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 8/18/16 1:59 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> o  compares words in columns that can only support keywords as
> case-insensitive, double-quoted or not
>
> o  compares words in columns that can contain user/db names or keywords
> as case-sensitive if double-quoted, case-insensitive if not

I can maybe see the case of the second one, but the first one doesn't
make sense to me.

We've in the past had discussions like this about whether command line
arguments of tools should be case insensitive like SQL, and we had
resolved that since the shell is not SQL, it shouldn't work like that.
pg_hba.conf is also not SQL, and neither, for that matter, is
pg_ident.conf and postgresql.conf.