Re: Alter index rename concurrently to - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Alter index rename concurrently to
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 23.07.18 15:14, Andrey Klychkov wrote:
> Moreover, if you rename Table without query locking, it may crushes your
> services that
> do queries at the same time, therefore, this is unlikely that someone
> will be do it
> with concurrent queries to renamed table, in other words, with running
> production.
> So, I think it doesn't have real sense to use the lower lock for example
> for tables (at least by default).
> However, renaming Indexes with the lower lock is safe for database consumers
> because they don't know anything about them.

You appear to be saying that you think that renaming an index
concurrently is not safe.  In that case, this patch should be rejected.
However, I don't think it necessarily is unsafe.  What we need is some
reasoning about the impact, not a bunch of different options that we
don't understand.