Re: Is it useful to record whether plans are generic or custom? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuro Yamada
Subject Re: Is it useful to record whether plans are generic or custom?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Torikoshi-san,

On 2020/12/04 15:03, torikoshia wrote:

> ISTM now that creating pg_stat_statements_xxx views
> both for generic andcustom plans is better than my PoC patch.
>
> And I'm also struggling with the following.
>
> | However, I also began to wonder how effective it would be to just
> | distinguish between generic and custom plans.  Custom plans can
> | include all sorts of plans. and thinking cache validation, generic
> | plans can also include various plans.
>
> | Considering this, I'm starting to feel that it would be better to
> | not just keeping whether generic or cutom but the plan itself as
> | discussed in the below thread.
>

> Yamada-san,
>
> Do you think it's effective just distinguish between generic
> and custom plans?

Sorry for the super delayed replay.

Ah, it's okay.
It would be better to check both info by using a single view from the
perspective of usability. However, it's okay to divide both information
into two views to use memory effectively.

Regards,
Tatsuro Yamada