Re: PostgreSQL upgrade. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: PostgreSQL upgrade.
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 10/04/19 8:20 PM, Andreas Kretschmer wrote:

> Am 10.04.19 um 07:40 schrieb Daulat Ram:
>> We have two node postgresql database version 9.6 with streaming
>> replication which is running on docker environment, os Linux (Ubuntu)
>> and we have to migrate on PostgresQL11. I need your suggestions &
>> steps to compete the upgrade  process successfully.
>
> there are exists several ways to do that. You can take a normal dump
> and replay it in the new version, you can use pg_upgrade, and you can
> use a logical replication (using slony, londiste or pg_logical from
> 2ndQuadrant). There is no 'standard way' to do that, all depends on
> your requirements and knowledge how to work with that tools.

The docker environment makes using pg_upgrade more difficult, as you
need to modify (or build a new) container with the old and new Postgres
versions installed. I'm interested in seeing how hard that would be
(will update this thread if I find anything useful).

regards

Mark