Re: OSX: migrating Postgres db from one Mac to another - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: OSX: migrating Postgres db from one Mac to another
Date
List pgsql-general
On 6/24/21 6:53 AM, Carlo Poso wrote:
> Hello,
> my Mac unfortunately crashed. I have a Time Machine backup.
> Using the Migration Assistant on a new Mac allowed me to get all my
> documents back, but unfortunately Postgres is not able to start.
>
> So I was trying to manually set-up my Postgres db.
>
> Here are the steps:
>
> - install a fresh copy of Postgres (v11)
> - replace the /Library/PostgreSQL/11/data folder with the one I dig out
> from my dead Mac, where I assume my data is stored
> - check/fix owner of folders (must be 'postgres', I assume)

You have not started the server.

> - start pgAdmin

pgAdmin != Postgres

pgAdmin is just a client, the server needs to be started in order for it
to connected.

> - enter the PW for postgres user
> - click on "PostgreSQL 11" server to show databases
>
> This is where I have problems. I am prompted with the same pop-up asking me
> to enter the password for the user 'postgres'. I type it and I get the

The message is telling you what the problem is, the server is not
running, or if it where running not listening on port 5432.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com