Searching multiple fields from multiple tables - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From anssiman@my-deja.com (A. Mannisto)
Subject Searching multiple fields from multiple tables
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,

I should make search engine for psql environment.
I works so that user sets search criterias (multiple words)
and gets answers (like goooooogle does).
Let say that I have one common key (primary) which
is used as foreign key in rest of the tables.
So I have many one_to_many relations.

In this case what is the best way to implement
SQL-query. Performance of the query is the most
important thing. Should I use temporary table
and collect the keys into it one by one whit INSERT
INTO statements. Single SQL query will be quite complex and slow.

After all, what kind of SQL-query philosophy is suitable?