Re: [GENERAL] Create Action for psql when NOTIFY Recieved - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel Verite
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Create Action for psql when NOTIFY Recieved
Date
List pgsql-general
    Jerry Regan wrote:

> I think I could justify the effort to ‘script’ psql. I’m not so sure I can
> justify the effort to write a standalone program.

As a hack around psql, you could have a script that feeds psql
with "SELECT 1" from time to time and capture only the
notifications output:

 (echo "listen foo;"; while true; do echo "select 1;"; sleep 1; done) | \
    psql | grep notification

When another session issues NOTIFY foo,  'bar'
 that output filtered by the above command is, for example:

  Asynchronous notification "foo" with payload "bar" received from
  server process with PID 20033.

which just needs to be piped into another step that runs your custom
action.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité