Re: [GENERAL] Wired-Protocol Specification? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Wired-Protocol Specification?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2/21/2017 1:12 PM, Ozz Nixon wrote:
> I am working on a project which needs me to implement the direct “wired-protocol” to talk to pgsql. One side, I talk
topgsql, the other side, I need to make a listener which accepts the protocol from pgsql’s and mysql’s ODBC (talking
wiredto both). [sorry if Wired is not the correct term, that is what I was assigned to do… so I am asking here].

> URL?
>
> I have an example of coding this in python, but only does like 5 commands. w/o documentation of where they found the
specs.

dare I ask why you can't use libpq or another existing language binding
?   writing a custom binding ties you down to a lifetime of tracking
version updates...

if you really must, start here,
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/protocol.html

then look at the source to libpq, and/or pg-jdbc, and/or PyGreSQL and/or
Psycopg to work out implementation details.