Re: Problem -Postgre sql - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: Problem -Postgre sql
Date
List pgsql-sql
[Please do not email me directly. Please post to the list so others
may help and benefit from the discussion.]

On Oct 19, 2005, at 14:30 , Vikas J wrote:

> IsNull in sql server has syntax like isnull(column,substitute)
> if "column" is null it shows value of "substitute". That can be
> achieved
> with CASE clause in postrgre but I want alternate function.

If you look at the doc links I provided below, you will find that
COALESCE does exactly this.

> Can you tell me how to write function like MAX() that will work
> directly  on
> colmuns. I want to create my own function that will not need table
> name as
> paramter.
> it shld work similarly to max() function in postgre.

[Again, it's PostgreSQL or Postgres. It is *not* spelled "postgre".]

In my experience, the max() aggregate function does not require table
names as parameters and work on columns directly.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/functions-aggregate.html

I suggest you take some time to look at the docs. They're quite
extensive and helpful.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/index.html

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com