RE: AW: timeout on lock feature - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mikheev, Vadim
Subject RE: AW: timeout on lock feature
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Added to TODO:
> >     * Add SET parameter to timeout if waiting for lock too long
>
> I repeat my strong objection to any global (ie, affecting all locks)
> timeout.  Such a "feature" will have unpleasant consequences.

But LOCK TABLE T IN ROW EXCLUSIVE MODE WITH TIMEOUT X will not give
required results not only due to parser/planner locks - what if
UPDATE T will have to wait for other transactions commit/abort
(same row update)? Lock on pseudo-table is acquired in this case...

Vadim