RE: 7.1b6 - pg_xlog filled fs, postmaster won't start - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mikheev, Vadim
Subject RE: 7.1b6 - pg_xlog filled fs, postmaster won't start
Date
List pgsql-general
> >> Is it OK to delete the files from pg_xlog?  What will be
> >> the result?
> > It's not Ok. Though you could remove files numbered from
> > 00000000000000 to 0000000000012 (in hex), if any.
>
> OK, thanks.  Is there any documentation on these files, and what
> our options are if something like this happens?

DEBUG:  Redo record at (FileID, Offset)...

says what is the oldest file required: FileID is in first (leftmost)
8 chars of 16 chars file names, Offset/(16*1024*1024) gives you
last 8 chars (don't forget to convert numbers to hex).

> With other RDBMS products I use, DB2 and Sybase, there
> are options in the import/load/bcp utilities which commit
> every n records, selectable by the user.  I think having
> a feature like this in COPY would greatly facilitate
> data migrations (which is what I'm doing, and the reason
> for such a big file).  What do you think?

It wouldn't help in 7.1 where transaction rollback using log
is not implemented and anyway we need in checkpoint in log
to restart.

Vadim