RE: pre-beta is slow - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mikheev, Vadim
Subject RE: pre-beta is slow
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > > Try to compare 7.0.3 & 7.1beta in multi-user environment.
> >
> > As I understand it you claim it to be faster in multi-user
> > environment ?
> >
> > Could you give some brief technical background why is it so
> > and why must it make single-user slower ?
>
> Because of commit in 7.1 does fsync, with ot without -F
> (we can discuss and change this), but in multi-user env
> a number of commits can be made with single fsync.
> Seems I've described this before?

Ops, I forgot to answer question "why in single-user env 7.1 is
slower than 7.0.3?". I assumed that 7.1 was compared with 7.0.3
*with -F*, which probably is not correct, I don't know.
Well, the next test shows that 7.1 is faster in single-user env
than 7.0.3 *without -F*:

table (i int, t text); 1000 INSERTs (in separate transactions),
sizeof(t) 1 .. 256:

7.0.3: 42 sec -> 24 tps
7.1  : 24 sec -> 42 tps

Vadim