RE: beta testing version - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mikheev, Vadim
Subject RE: beta testing version
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Sounds great! We can follow this way: when first after last
> > checkpoint update to a page being logged, XLOG code can log
> > not AM specific update record but entire page (creating backup
> > "physical log"). During after crash recovery such pages will
> > be redone first, ensuring page consistency for further redo ops.
> > This means bigger log, of course.
>
> Be sure to include a CRC of each part of the block that you hope
> to replay individually.

Why should we do this? I'm not going to replay parts individually,
I'm going to write entire pages to OS cache and than apply changes to
them. Recovery is considered as succeeded after server is ensured
that all applyed changes are on the disk. In the case of crash during
recovery we'll replay entire game.

Vadim