Re: PgSQL not as Administrator - probs on w - Mailing list pgsql-hackers-win32

From Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject Re: PgSQL not as Administrator - probs on w
Date
List pgsql-hackers-win32

I must admit I find the prospect of running servers under a privileged
account a little bit scary. Is there no way that we can roll our own
"runas.exe" that we can supply as part of the PostgreSQL distribution?
From what I remember of the Win32 API, I can't see it being a
particularly complex piece of code - perhaps some sort of hook into
pg_ctl?

Then we could guarantee at least some level of security if an exploit is
found. I know that PostgreSQL is very unlikely to be exploitable, but I
can see this option being abused by newbie users forced to log in as
admin long after release.... this could leave a lot of vunerable
machines out there.

Kind regards,

Mark.

---

Mark Cave-Ayland
Webbased Ltd.
Tamar Science Park
Derriford
Plymouth
PL6 8BX
England

Tel: +44 (0)1752 764445
Fax: +44 (0)1752 764446

recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender. You
should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute
its contents to any other person.