Re: Proposal: Commit timestamp - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Proposal: Commit timestamp
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jan 25, 2007, at 6:16 PM, Jan Wieck wrote:
> If a per database configurable tslog_priority is given, the
> timestamp will be truncated to milliseconds and the increment logic
> is done on milliseconds. The priority is added to the timestamp.
> This guarantees that no two timestamps for commits will ever be
> exactly identical, even across different servers.

Wouldn't it be better to just store that information separately,
rather than mucking with the timestamp?

Though, there's anothe issue here... I don't think NTP is good for
any better than a few milliseconds, even on a local network.

How exact does the conflict resolution need to be, anyway? Would it
really be a problem if transaction B committed 0.1 seconds after
transaction A yet the cluster thought it was the other way around?