Re: Upgrading 9.0 to 9.3 - permission denied to pg_upgrade_utility.log - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Russell Keane
Subject Re: Upgrading 9.0 to 9.3 - permission denied to pg_upgrade_utility.log
Date
List pgsql-general

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Momjian [mailto:bruce@momjian.us]
Sent: 15 August 2014 17:06
To: Russell Keane
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Upgrading 9.0 to 9.3 - permission denied to pg_upgrade_utility.log

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 10:59:16AM +0100, Russell Keane wrote:
> > The upgrade works all the way up until the final hurdle where, in
> > the pg_upgrade_utility.log the following statement appears:
> >
> > command: ""C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\9.3\bin/initdb"
> > --sync-only "D:\ PostgreSQL\9.3\Data" >> "pg_upgrade_utility.log" 2>&1"
> >
> > syncing data to disk ... initdb: could not open file
> > "D:/PostgreSQL/9.3/Data/
> > pg_upgrade_utility.log": Permission denied
>
> Uh, it would appear you are running pg_upgrade from _inside_ the 9.3 data directory.  That should work, but it would
probablybe better to run it in another directory where you also have write permission.  I think the problem is that
initdb--sync-only is syncing those files to disk as you are writing to the log file.

> We have had Windows problems of two processes writing to the same file, but that is usually a different error
message,e.g.

>      * For some reason, Windows issues a file-in-use error if we write data to
>      * the log file from a non-primary thread just before we create a
>      * subprocess that also writes to the same log file.  One fix is to sleep
>      * for 100ms.  A cleaner fix is to write to the log file _after_ the
>      * subprocess has completed, so we do this only when writing from a
>      * non-primary thread.  fflush(), running system() twice, and pre-creating
>      * the file do not see to help.
>
> I think that returns a "share violation" error.

I have applied the attached patch for 9.5 which will generate a clearer error in this case, attached.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Thank you once again.

Regards,

Russell.