Re: Way to shutdown/freeze/stop an individual database without taking postmaster down? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: Way to shutdown/freeze/stop an individual database without taking postmaster down?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Apr 10, 2008, at 2:37 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> I haven't checked whether pg_hba.conf rules are reloaded, but `pg_ctl
> reload' can re-read some settings without a postmaster restart. So you
> might be able to disallow access in pg_hba then reload.
>
> I'd be curious to know if that works and if/how it affects existing
> connections - though I can always test it myself.

Yes, a pg_ctl reload will reload pg_hba.conf and, iirc, it does not
kill any existing connections as the values in that file are checked
at time of connection, not time of config load.

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888