Re: converting Informix outer to Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From George Pavlov
Subject Re: converting Informix outer to Postgres
Date
List pgsql-sql
Why don't you start by presenting the query in a more readable form
(hint use SQL-standard JOIN syntax for all of your joins) and maybe
narrowing just to a couple of tables to isolate the problem. As it is,
it is hard to understand. In the process of rewriting you will be forced
to think about each join and maybe clarify the query for yourself. So,
for example, maybe this is the query you want (just an attempt to
quickly rewrite the Informix using standard JOIN syntax--I have a hunch
that you want only one outer join):

select count(u.id)
from user u inner join invention i   on u.id = i.user_id inner join inv_contracts ic   on ic.inv_id = i.id inner join
milestonedefmdef1   on ic.contract_id = mdef1.contract_id inner join milestonedef mdef2   on ic.contract_id =
mdef2.contract_idinner join inv_milestones im1   on im1.inv_id = i.id   and mdef1.id = im1.milestone_id left join
inv_milestonesim2   on im2.inv_id = i.id   and mdef2.id = im2.milestone_id
where im1.datesent BETWEEN '2005-05-05' AND '2005-05-10' and im1.datereceived IS NULL
;