Re: a celko-puzzle from long time ago - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From George Pavlov
Subject Re: a celko-puzzle from long time ago
Date
List pgsql-sql
Should be entirely executable in postgres using psql variables (once you
get around the psql quoting weirdnesses). do this:

gp_test=# \set item '\''Apple'
gp_test=# \set qty 6
gp_test=# \echo :item
'Apple'
gp_test=# \echo :qty
6

and then run his query.

Now, i am not sure what DBMS lets Mr. Celko insert the string 'Orange'
into a CHAR(5) field, but he's a smartie, so I am sure there must be a
way ;-)

George