stats reset during pg_restore? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From George Pavlov
Subject stats reset during pg_restore?
Date
List pgsql-performance
This did not have any takers in pgsql-general. Maybe
performance-oriented folks can shed light? The basic question is if
there is a way to preserve stats during pg_restore?

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of George Pavlov
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 3:15 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] stats reset during pg_restore?

I would like to analyze server stats offline, so I attempt to pg_dump my
production database and then pg_restore it into another database. In the
process all stats seem to be reset (they are not completely zeroed). So
in production I have a table with the following stats (from
pg_stat_all_tables as an example):

relid         | 25519576
relname       | property_contact
seq_scan      | 5612
seq_tup_read  | 569971320
idx_scan      | 4486454
idx_tup_fetch | 180100369
n_tup_ins     | 39114
n_tup_upd     | 17553
n_tup_del     | 21877

After I restore the stats for the same table look like this:

relid         | 104017313
relname       | property_contact
seq_scan      | 9
seq_tup_read  | 992493
idx_scan      | 0
idx_tup_fetch | 0
n_tup_ins     | 110277
n_tup_upd     | 0
n_tup_del     | 0

These look like stats for table accesses during the restore itself:
11027 is indeed the number of rows in the table, and 992493 / 110277 =
9, which happens to be the number of indexes and FK constraints on the
table.

I do have stats_reset_on_server_start = off on both servers.

Can someone share what exatly happens with stats upon restore? Also is
there anything one can do to keep them intact during a dump/restore?

Apologies if already discussed--I failed to find any references.

TIA,

George