xlogdump fixups and WAL log question. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Theo Schlossnagle
Subject xlogdump fixups and WAL log question.
Date
Re: xlogdump fixups and WAL log question.  ("Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Not sure who cares, so xzilla indicated I should drop a note here.  I
just made the xlogdump stuff work for 8.1 (trivial) and fixed a few
other small issues that caused it to not work right both generally
and in our environment.

http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=1000760&group_id=1000202&atid=772

We're using it to track down what's causing some wal log ruckus.
We're generating about a quarter terabyte of WAL logs a day (on bad
days) which is posing some PITR backup pains.  That amount isn't a
severe challenge to backup, but our previous install was on Oracle
and it generated substantially less archive redo logs (10-20 gigs per
day).

Is it possible to create tables in fashion that will not write info
to the WAL log -- knowingly and intentionally making them
unrecoverable?  This is very desirable for us.  We snapshot tables
from a production environment.  If the database goes down and we
recover, the old snapshots are out of date anyway and serve no useful
purpose.  The periodic snapshot procedure would re-snap them in short
order anyway.  I'd like to do:

INSERT INTO TABLE tblfoo_snap1 AS SELECT * from <table on remote
database> NO LOGGING;

(NO LOGGING being the only part we're currently missing) Is something
like this possible?

Cheers ;-)
Theo

// Theo Schlossnagle