Re: 8.3devel slower than 8.2 under read-only load - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Williamson
Subject Re: 8.3devel slower than 8.2 under read-only load
Date
List pgsql-hackers
checkedthat the EXPLAIN ANALYZEs are essentially identical<br /> > also? Is the data identical on both systems?<br
/>><br /><br /> I've been running some fairly heavy read-only tests (5 minutes duration) against 8.3beta2 and 8.2.5
and8.1.10 and are getting slightly faster numbers for 8.2.5 over 8.1 and 8.3beta2 looks consistently faster by a few
percent.This is heavily oriented to postGIS queries so your mileage may vary. But so far I haven't seen any red flags
orshow stoppers from my (limited) perspective. There are some changes to the config files but I don't have details at
hand.<br/><br /> Initial tests are always faster; we usually throw them out and run for real numbers starting with 3rd
teststo make sure we don't jump at cache issues. For the most part we only care about performance with as much of the
databasein cache as we can so those initial tests aren;t of much use.<br /><br /> (Sorry for the poor posting --
DigitalGlobecompany<br /><br /> Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole
useof the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in
accordancewith those provisions. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not
theintended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.<br