Re: A few questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Williamson
Subject Re: A few questions
Date
List pgsql-general

Samantha Atkins shaped electrons to ask:

> What do you consider the most logical, one database per user?
>
> - samantha

Perhaps a schema per user ? Then you can have the common tables (look up values, whatever) in the public schema. Each user gets a schema that has all of the tables they share in common (accounting or addresses or whatever) plus you can add an specialized tables and not worry about other users seeing them. Of course, all table references have to be qualified (myschema.mytable) or you have to set the search_path.

I'd lean toward making each a real postgres user and then revoke all rights ont heir schema from public and allow them access to the schema and the underlying tables.

HTH,

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC, a DigitalGlobe company

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

(My corporate masters made me say this.)