Re: Extended Query, flush or sync ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raimon Fernandez
Subject Re: Extended Query, flush or sync ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 19/12/2009, at 16:32, John DeSoi wrote:

>> If I execute with a row limit of 1000, and I know there are more than 1000 rows, I get the portalSuspended as
described.

>> But, If a issue a new Execute, postgresql says that myPortal doesn't exist anymore.
>>
>> How I can get those 1000 rows ?
>
> Are you using a named portal? Are you reading all responses until you receive a ready for query response? There are a
lotof details - it really helped me to look at the psql source.

Yes, I'm using a named portal.

The new question is:

When I get the PortalSuspended, I get the 1000 rows, and for fetching the others, I have to send a new Execute to the
samePortal:

"If Execute terminates before completing the execution of a portal (due to reaching a nonzero result- row count), it
willsend a PortalSuspended message; the appearance of this message tells the frontend that another Execute should be
issuedagainst the same portal to complete the operation. "

But the portal isn't destroyed after a sync ?

I'm getting a "Portal 'myPortal' doesn't exist  "when sending the next Execute ...

1. Parse the Select with some $1, $2

2. Send a Bind + Describe + Execute + Sync

3. received the portalSuspended

4. Send the Execute

5. Receive the error "Portal 'myPortal' doesn't exist "

thanks,

regards,

raimon